Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:47:49 EST
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:26:19 +0100 Gertjan Groen said:
>Hello,
>
>At 11:59 09-02-2000 -0500, you wrote:
>>You can't put the subscriber's address in BOTTOM_BANNER anyway, so the
>>point is moot.  The &MBX(&ADDR) variable combination you would want to
>>use is not initialized for a bottom banner.
>
>Ok, but can that &MBX(&ADDR) variable then perhaps be used in another way
>or at another place in the mailing (top_banner?)?

No.  It cannot be used as part of a posting to a list, period.

>Is it normal that the TO-field of the mailings does not contain the user's
>address and that there is also no other way for the user to see the address
>that the newsletter was send to?

Yes, that's normal, because LISTSERV uses BSMTP for efficiency.

I'm thinking that the simplest way to deal with this would be to
GET the list, extract the addresses, and send out a one-off DISTRIBUTE
job to the list membership.  This might require that your LISTSERV
maintainer give you permission to send a DISTRIBUTE job, since under
1.8d only LISTSERV postmasters have permission to send such jobs by
default.  At any rate you could set up the DISTRIBUTE job to put the
subscriber's address in the To: field easily enough.

DISTRIBUTE jobs are documented in the LISTSERV developer's guide,
available at http://www.lsoft.com/manuals along with the rest of
our documentation.

Nathan