Mary Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 03:07:46 -0500
>Being a "substitute" listowner does put you in a difficult position,
>Mary.
>
>I would tell you to tell the person "list policy is we do not allow
>anonymous postings" (I don't on my lists) but the vagaries of
>"registration" of "names"  does put you in a bind.

She understands the policy, but she doesn't know why the other person
"can post anonymously." I keep telling her Listserv must have
malfunctioned. I guess what I want to know at this point is simply
this: Am I right in my belief that Listserv is *supposed* to look up
the names when the messages come in without one? Is AOL an exception
of some sort? If it is, then why doesn't it?

Oh...it seems that all the people who are now "anon" have signed on
again for one reason or another. Either they left the list or were
thrown off by Listserv for problems, and when they resubbed, they
gave their names, but now Listserv doesn't look them up. Odd, isn't
it?

>As I said, I no longer understand the ins and outs of this, so I can't
>be of much help.  I will say I am disappointed that no one who knows
>more about it than I has spoken up on the list.

So am I, Douglas, but I appreciate your attempt to help. I just wish
I had something to tell this woman so she would quit bugging me.

Mary