"Terry A. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:15:45 -0400
Most of our lists are set up so that using REPLY to respond to mail
sent from the list will cause the reply to be addressed back to the
list.  There are times when it desirable to post something to the
list with the intent to have everyone respond to the poster rather
than the list.  Sending out surveys comes to mind.

Fortunately, most of our lists are also set to respect internet
mail's Reply-To: header if it is present.  This means that if you
include a Reply-To: header in your posting to the list, you can
override the default of replying to the list itself and direct
replies to your posting back to any address that you choose.

Some mail programs can be set to generate a Reply-To header
automatically (bad idea in my opinion), but CMS is not one of
them, nor -- I believe -- is Exchange or Outlook.

In experimenting with CMS, however, I found that I could construct
my CMS NOTE in such a way that when the posting was distributed to
list subscribers, their reply would be directed back to me instead
of to the list.

Now, all this happens because we have most of our lists set up with
the keyword of "Reply-to= List,Respect" in the list headers.  So,
by default replies get addressed to the list, but if their is a reply
to header it will be respected and postings will be sent with a
reply to header containing the address the posters specified in his
or her reply to header when they sent the posting.

Here's an example to make this all much clearer (I hope).
Add a reply-to line to your CMS note when you are preparing it.
Here's the note I used to test this with.