Rick Troth <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 22:04:00 CST
>Netnews Server  <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Now is "Netnews Server"  just someone's idea of a cute fake name or is it one
>of those weird things where they redistribute the mail from your list all
>over the place or what?

        What Pete said,  plus:   If you didn't mark your list as
"Confidential= YES",  then every LISTSERV in the network knows about it.
This is a veature I very much appreciate,  both that LISTSERVs know about
non-confidential lists  (subscribe via your nearest LISTSERV)  and that
lists can optionally be flagged as confidential.

>I'm probably making way too big of a deal out of this but because of the
>sensitive topic of my list and because my subscribers have made it very
>clear to me that they're very concerned about privacy,  I just want to
>find out if I should unsubscribe this person or thing or whatever it is.

        It's a news gateway,  clearly.   What's NOT clear is how far
its distribution is.   Pete suggested that it is local to PACE.   Maybe.
I know that AUVM (American University) gateways a number of LISTSERV
lists to/from NetNews at large  (ie: USENET News).   This world is
true anarchy.   You need to understand a copule of subtle issues.

        There are quite a few people who prefer to get their list mail
in a more manageable form,  hence the DIGEST option.   Others enjoy the
threading capability of many news readers,  which I have yet to see in a
mail agent  (though I'm sure it exists).   And I believe that there is a
camp of folks who feel that all group discussions should be carried out
using "news" technology rather than "mail" technology,  though I doubt
they hold much sway for exclusivity.   In any case,  there are a number
of mailing lists that are  "joined at the hip"  (pardon the coloquialism)
with a news group,  and some subscribers interact via mail while others
interact via news.   Example:

                [log in to unmask],  and
                bit.listserv.www-vm

        -or-

                [log in to unmask],  and
                bmc.products.patrol

>Thanks,
>Lisa

        I hope this helps.

--
Rick Troth, BMC Software, Inc.  <[log in to unmask]>  <USNMNEWN@IBMMAIL>
2101 City West Blvd., Houston, Texas, USA, 77042   1-800-841-2031