Wes Morgan <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Jan 1994 08:06:27 EST
>I added someone with a @midway.uchicago.edu address to my list a few
>weeks ago.  For the next ten days, I got "Service unavailable"
>messages, so I deleted him.
>
>I simply cannot contact him and have NO reason why.
>
>Any takers?

Sure!  You have a reason, but it's buried in the error messages.

The "cannot append" message is the key.  On Unix systems, this message
can indicate several different things:

        1 his personal mailbox (/var/spool/mail/dswilson) has become
          so large that new mail cannot be added.  This problem is
          usually found on System V Unix and its variants.

        2 the mail directory/partition (probably /var, although some
          sites use separate disk partitions for /var/spool/mail) is
          full, so no one on that system is getting mail.  This one
          can happen to any Unix system.

        3 dswilson has, for whatever reason, changed the access permissions
          on his mailbox in such a manner that the mail program no longer
          has write access to it.

There are a few other possibilities, but they are rather obscure; I'll bet
on one of the three scenarios listed above.

You may wish to drop a line to [log in to unmask]; if that
message is delivered successfully, you can eliminate scenario 2 from the
list above.  The postmaster should be able to fill you in on the details.

[log in to unmask] needs to be educated in the importance of
*routinely* reading/clearing one's mailbox when subscribed to heavy-
traffic lists.  8)

--Wes