Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:56:34 -0500
Russ Hunt wrote:

> Okay, but what's preventing me from setting my list to distribute
> them to all the subscribers, thus prompting the list to get flooded
> with "out of office" replies?  (It's not my sophisticated
> understanding of the differences between Reply-To: and Sender: and so
> forth, I can assure you of that . . . )

Hopefully they would be identical to each other and Listserv would
only distribute the first one and then stop the others as duplicates.
Listserv does not stop the duplicates that are sent directly to the
senders (rather than the list), because they do not go through
Listserv at all.

Of course, when it stops the second one as a duplicate it notifies
the person who is on vacation, and often gets back another vacation
notice, this one addressed to Listserv rather than the list.  And
then it notifies them that their vacation notice does not contain
any valid Listserv commands, and gets another one in return....
But that little loop doesn't fill any mailboxes except that of the
vacationer, and ends after a while when Listserv gets tired of it
and "serves off" the vacationer.  I've seen that happen several
times here.

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University