"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:41:00 EDT
For those of you who have avoided subscribing
to SPAM-L because of traffic volumes, perhaps
these new topical (LISTSERV) "filters" will
be sufficient for you to subscribe now.

BTW, AOL admins regularly contribute to that
list.  Let's not have another round of AOL
bashing here on lstsrv-l (it's getting tiresome).

  - - The original note follows - -

Date:    Thu, 3 Oct 96 08:43 EDT
From:    "Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: re: me-toos, spam-l-cc, etc. TOPICS
To:      [log in to unmask]

These SPAM-L Topics can now be used to filter (include/exclude)
distributions:

>Topic           Purpose
>-----           -------

>CC              full-text of SPAM
>ME-TOO          "I ALSO received this SPAM"
>ABUSE           "I sent the following nastygram to [log in to unmask]"
>ABUSE-RE        "I received the following response from [log in to unmask]"
>COURT           text related to law/statutes or pending litigation
>MEDIA           what the popular press has to say about SPAM
 HELP            if you need assitance in either decoding a received
                 SPAM (not SPAM-L) message or need assistance in
                 contacting a service providor/system administrator

Here is some general info about how one goes about setting
their personal filter distribution options for the SPAM-L
list

It takes 3 things to acomplish your task via Revised LISTSERV
techology:

1) list-owner has setup the list's TOPICS feature in the
   definition (see above)

2) you, the subscriber, have previously
   e-mailed [log in to unmask]

   SET SPAM-L TOPICS: -MEDIA

   which only is effective for mail distributions, and not
   for DIGEST/INDEX mailings and have indicated to LISTSERV
   that you are interested in all Subjects that do NOT have
   a MEDIA topic

3) the SPAM-L poster uses a valid Subject: in their posting

   SUBJECT: MEDIA: xxxxxxx

Thus, thes SPAM-L subscriber who had previously issued the
above SET would NOT receive this post.

You might find other useful discussion on the TOPICS=
keyword by sending the following to [log in to unmask]

/* --------------------- clip and save ---------------- */
//ListSrch JOB Echo=no
Database Search DD=Rules OUTLIM=2000 f=mail
//Rules DD *
S topics= in lstown-l where sender contains (eric or gerland or pmw1)
index #.5 date.8 sender.17 subject.46
print
/*
//  EOJ

--  co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L
[log in to unmask] "My lists are w/o PEERS ;-)"   s/me    +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State Univ -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA