Jean Bedard <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 06:35:11 -0400
Let's suppose my organization is divided in four parts (well, in fact, it
*is* that way!) and I want to put all the people here in four lists, say,
LIST1, LIST2, LIST3, and LIST4. I also want a GENERAL list that includes
them all.

I know I can simply define all four sublists in the GENERAL one, but I
don't want to, because:

1. I want the archival of messages to GENERAL to be distinct from those for
LIST1, LIST2...; if the sublists are subscribed to GENERAL, there will be a
duplication (a quintiplication? (-: ) in the log files of all messages sent
to GENERAL.

2. That way, when a message is sent to GENERAL, the header will include the
name of a sublist instead of the name of the general list; this would be
confusing because one would not know the real extent of the distribution of
the message, and also when when replying.

On the other hand, I would prefer not to explicitly signup everybody to the
GENERAL *and* the proper sublist, because of the administrative overhead
and forgetting to carry changes over to the other list.

Any ideas?

* Jean Bidard, S.I.T., Universiti Laval
* (418) 656-3632 #4014