David Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:21:36 -0400
On 6/21/07, Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 21 Jun 2007 at 16:52, Wayne T Smith wrote:
>
> >That said, I don't expect to change the thinking of anyone that thinks a 2KB
> >message is better than a 40KB message, in and of itself.
>
> I think the fear is the other way around... we fear the inevitable future
> where Peggy, sitting in her rural 10 by 50, surrounded by empty Doritos bags,
> sends us a 17 Terrabyte holographic representation of her avatar, a vaguely
> Lindsey Lohan-like executive speaking from her 50th floor corner office,
> containing the 20 byte profundity - "Hey... watcha doing"?

Future, nothing, it's already here! (well, not the terabyte level, but ..)

Shortly after our company switched to email systems that
allowed/supported HTML, we had a ... person (I'm trying to stay
polite) start sending emails with background wallpaper, and all sorts
of fancy garbage in it.  I ripped into him for sending a 60K message
that had exactly 100 bytes of actual information.

HTML is sometimes useful in emails, but IMO, the first two rules of
using HTML in email are:

1.  Don't
2.  See Rule 1.

--