"Eugenio Gatto (Politecnico, Torino)" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 19:29:07 GMT+1
--- Eudora problem (not only). - Torino, 1995-01-10

I just touch the problem, but from the other side (I don't know Eudora,
so no solution to the original question, sorry). On my system I have no
way of choosing where the summary information comes from, but (quite
correctly) it prefers the REPLY-TO field, which LISTSERV fills as
requested in the list headers (so, frequently, REPLY-TO=LIST,RESPECT).

For our list, I preferred LIST,IGNORE to force (to my eyes) a uniform
and useful grouping of received mail. And probably the same is true for
most users, since I have had no complaint since I changed it.

On the contrary, as a subscriber to a list where REPLY-TO=SENDER was
preferred by the majority, I found a viable solution SETting myself
DIGESTS: no personal name appear, since in this case LISTSERV is the
real sender.

But it seems that software different from LISTSERV may altogether omit
adding uniform SENDER and REPLY-TO fields, leaving to users no
possibility of sorting quickly personal mail from list mail (even if
Eudora, or anything else they have, allows them to choose). And this
could be a serious problem to all subscribers, not only to some of them.

<-- Eugenio Gatto    (CIDEM, Politecnico di Torino, Italia)
                     (list owner [log in to unmask])
    TEL 39.11.564'6600 FACS 39.11.564'6609 EM [log in to unmask]