Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:03:09 -0400
"Walker, Marcia A" wrote:

> Hi folks - Some of my co-workers are in need of a central email address set
> up only to receive incoming information (mostly financial documents from the
> federal government).  There will be no discussion among the members, and no
> outgoing information - 7 members all in the same office.
>
> For a reason that escapes me, it's been decided that a listserv with an
> alias is the way to go, rather than a single email address with multiple
> users.  I don't like this idea, but I'm not technically savvy enough to
> defend my opinion.
>
> What do you guys think?  Is this an ok idea, or are we leaving ourselves
> wide open to lord-knows-what?

If you need to have it "Send= Public" then you will also want to
have it "Confidential" and only give the address to the people
who will be sending to it.  If it's in the CataList people will
try to send spam to it.

We have a list here something like this, except that normally only
one of the people on it is set to Mail (if that one goes on vacation
a different one goes on Mail).  We also have a few lists where
everyone is on nomail and they read everything via the Web interface.
I wonder about some of these things, but if the user is happy I'm
happy....  But I'm the site maintainer, not the owner of these lists!

I note that you sent this to the list -owner- list - are you going to
be the owner of this list?  Are you one of the seven people in that
office, or are you someplace else, and they're going to be frequently
calling you up because Fred's going on vacation and doesn't know how
to set nomail, and they've got a new person coming in, and some of
the messages look funny in Cindy's email program and they think it
must be Listserv doing it, etc.?  One of -them- should be the owner,
or at the very least a co-owner, in my highly irrelevant opinion. :)

Margaret King
Michigan State University