Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 21:11:01 MST
Hey, y'all.....as Ann Landers would say: "Wake up and smell the coffee".
This stuff just doesn't wash.

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995 12:13:32 -0500 Mark Hunnibell said:
>I just checked out the http://www.iaf.net page and there is a FAQ page
>there in which they spell out their rules of use.  I found these two most
>interesting:
>
>> 2. You agree to not copy or extract, systematically or manually,
>> any information from IAF for commercial purposes.

   This is protecting their compilation copyright.  Just reminding you of it.

>> 7. All information submitted by you for inclusion in IAF will
>> become part of a database, the compilation copyright for which
>> is owned exclusively by Innovation Insights.
>
>The first one is patently offensive, because that is the EXACT means
>that they used to compile their data, trampling on the individual
>policies of each list they mined.

  There are no privacy guarantees in listserv.  And unless you set your
list to your review only, it is your fault....no one else's.

>The second one is even more serious.  They are copyrighting people's
>names and addresses without their consent.

  I'm not a lawyer.  I don't play one on the net.  BUT....I DO know the
difference between a copyright and a compilation copyright.  The compilation
copyright is EXACTLY the same as the phone company has on your phonebook.
Also the same as the City Directory company has on the local city directory
that inlcudes you (at least in most cities of any size).  What is copyright
is the COMPILATION, not "your name" or "your address".  There is a big
difference.  For further elucidation check out your attorney, or any of
the copyright resources on the web.

>   Did any of these alleged three million people actually give you
>   permission to use their name and e-mail address in your for-profit
>   company and to then copyright their name?

     Doesn't matter.  The phonebook is for profit too.  Only reason
they give you the right to keep out of it is because of regulations, which
don't exist on the nets.

>Send mail to [log in to unmask] if this whole thing just bugs you silly.

  Feel free.  Don't expect it to change their policies.

cheers

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979