"Larson, Angela" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 May 2002 16:43:21 -0400
Good afternoon Sherry,

We are using the DBMS interface, but not in the traditional ListServ sense.

In the Native model, you can either setup one table for all of your lists,
or a separate table for each list.  If you use one table for all of your
subscribers, you will need a corresponding column in the table for each of
your Lists. The header for each list will need to be configured so that
the TABLE parameter contains your table name, and the OPTIONS Parameter
specifies the ListName (The subscriber options for the corresponding list
will be in these columns).

DBMS=ODBC,TABLE(YourTable),EMAIL(Email),NAME(Name),OPTIONS(ListName)

If you use multiple tables, then the List header (for each list) will need
to be
configured differently. The TABLE parameter will hold the name of the Table
you want
to associate with your List and OPTIONS parameter will need the name of the
field that
contains the subscriber options.

The easiest way to create multiple tables for your lists is to use
ListServ's interface.
Creating the list will create the table based on the information in the List
header.
You can add additional columns as needed once the table is created.

However, we have opted to use the DBMS model.  This permitted us to retain
our relational database
(we use intersection tables to relate Subscribers and Lists, etc -
functionality
not supported by ListServ's Native model.) I set up a ListServ list for each
list category and
configured the list headers to reference a View (in place of a table). A
stored procedure is
executed from the Web page that creates the view, based on the list info,
and then sends a
DISTRIBUTE Job command to ListServ.

Hopefully this information will help.  If you have specific questions, I
might be able to
help you.

Angela Larson
Web Designer/Developer