Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 10:50:00 PST
On Tue, 22 Feb 1994 13:18 EST, Wayne Marr <MARRM@CLEMSON> wrote:
>One of our subscribers is at leeds.ac.uk, which LISTSERV accepts,
>however when he subscribes he comes in as
>   'bess.novell.leeds.ac.uk' on which I get an error. Any help?
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Undeliverable Mail
>WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
>550 Host 'BESS.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK' Unknown

Simple question, but *tough* answer.

The host 'WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU' relies on local Internet name-servers,
namely 'SERVAL.NET.WSU.EDU', 'DNS1.EECS.WSU.EDU', 'MESON.TRICITY.WSU.EDU',
'BAMBI.ECE.WSU.EDU', and 'YODA.EECS.WSU.EDU'.

The server at 'YODA' isn't responding, but that's a separate problem!

Exactly *one* of those nameservers, namely 'SERVAL',
is giving the *wrong* answer to the question:
what is the TYPE=MX record for the host 'BESS.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK'?
Therefore, using the *wrong* answer causes the problem you see.

If you wait 14 hours, 37 minutes, and 43 seconds,
that "wrong" data will be "too-old", and will automatically be removed
from the "cache" of previous answers which SERVAL is keeping.

Or, perhaps Jonny Allen, the "postmaster" at WSU (Washington State Univ.),
can manually "flush" the cache.  I'm CC'ing this note to him.