Sun, 12 Aug 2001 11:37:54 -0400
On: Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 01:13:12AM -0400,Tom Rawson Wrote:

} I had about 15 subscribers deleted last week after a few days with error
} reports that looked like these:
}
}   4 08/10 08/11 First Last <[log in to unmask]>
}                 Last error: Unavailable; DSN status was 5.1.1
}
} I sent them all email and explained that this was MSN's problem and that
} it likely would not recur ... but as they rejoin I am getting the same
} reports again.  It's hard to see what is happening when the report says
} "Unavailable" (why is that, how can the error be unavailable if it was
} recognized enough to make it onto the error report?).

I am not positive here, but I think the reason the error is Unavailable
is that Lsoft was never able to send it to MSN.  Lsoft's gateway sees
"MSN.COM" and tries to resolve it to an IP address.  The DNS is
returning the error so the mail never leaves Lsoft.

} We are set to delete after 100 errors or 5 days.  I have seen all the MSN
} folks get hit with this kind of error before, but this is the first time
} it persisted for long enough for anyone to get deleted.

On my two lists, I have upped the delay to 10 days to try and help the
poor folks who use MSN.

} Anyone else seeing more MSN errors than usual lately?  Anything to be

Yes.

} done, other than tell these folks to get a different ISP?

Thats it, and several of my subscribers have.  A lot of them are newbys
who got a year free (and overpriced at that) MSN when they bought a
computer.

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign panix.com     +1 770-321-6507