Tue, 17 Oct 1995 12:16:23 -0700
People,

My net.kook is still going strong and is raising hell on another list. I am in
contact with the lawyers at his university, but they have little or no
understanding of what Internet is, let alone what rights the university has in
stopping this person. The net.kook is threatening to sue anyone who gets in
his way of his "First Amendment rights" to say whatever he wants on the Net.

I plan to do a search of the LSTOWN-L archives, so I can send the lawyers some
relevant information (like the legal opinion from the University of Kentucky),
and possibly some contact people who can point them in the right directions.

While I wait for my results, can anyone help out with any cases/precedednts
that they know of? (I know that I have asked this before, but need to again.)

Some background info: this person is using discussion lists to libel, slander,
and otherwise say anything he wants to about everyone he can think of. He
doesn't appear to care whether they are on the Net or not. He has been booted
off several lists, including my own, and now he is claiming that we are
denying him his First Amendment rights. The university has no idea what to do
with him, and his university account.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
[log in to unmask]  Owner: HISTARCH, SPANBORD, SUB-ARCH