Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:35:19 -0400
On 3/14/2011 14:44, Dayn Schulert wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've recently had one of our list owners inform me of an issue that he is having with his list concerning the CHANGE command. What is basically happening is that when someone attempts to use the command they are send an email with a click-to-confirm link. When they click this link, they get sent another email with a click-to-confirm link. When they click any of the confirm links (whether it be the first confirm email or the latest) they receive the following message in their browser:
>
> Confirming:
>> CHANGE listname [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> A   confirmation   request   is   being  mailed   to   your   new   address
> ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>). For  security reasons,  the change  will not  be made
> until  it has  been confirmed  from the  new address.  Simply wait  for the
> confirmation request to arrive, then follow the instructions to confirm the
> change of address.
>
> The following is a more detailed sequence of events:
> 1) An email is sent from the user's current email to the Listserv containing the following command:
> CHANGE listnames [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> 2) The currently subscribed email account receives an email informing them that the email change will take place after it is confirmed by the new account
> 3)  The confirmation email with a click-to-confirm link is received by the new email account.
> 4) The link is clicked and the web browser displays the above message in the LS interface
> 5) Another confirmation email with a click-to-confirm link is received by the new email account.
> 6) The link is clicked and the web browser displays the above message in the LS interface
> Repeat steps 5-6
>
> Does anyone have any insight into either:
> A) Fixing this problem
> or
> B) Changing the type of confirmation email to the "reply with ok" type?
>
> Thanks so much in advance,
> Dayn

We reported the same problem to L-Soft Technical Support in March 2005.  At the time, we
were running LISTSERV 1.8e on Solaris 2.5.  Michael Shannon was working on the problem and
I believe he was able to recreate the problem.  He also reported that another customer had
reported the same (or a very similar) problem.  The problem was referred to "Software
Engineering", and we never heard anything else about it.

The work-around is to confirm by email.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team