George Buckner <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 13:46:04 -0400
A few thoughts on the latest discussion:

I'd like to add my voice to those who prefer that we only post relevant
portions of the spam du jour (especially if the full spam has already been
posted).

On another note, Pete suggested:

>I think I suggested privately once that we should have some
>bogus lists at the beginning, middle, and end of a list-of-
>lists that would likely targets for spamers.  Mailing to those
>lists would trigger the listserv spam-o-meter.

This is a good idea, but would of course only do the trick if:

1) the bogus lists sounded "popular", or likely to have a high rate of
subscription

2) anyone but the people who put it in list-of-lists knew which lists were bogus

Also there is the NEW-LIST list.  I presume potential spammers wouldn't
bother (or know) to check list-of against this list, but the determination
of otherwise lazy salespeople has been underestimated before.

George