Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:01:16 -0500
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Holloway, Mike wrote:

>>Bzzzt! Wrong! <g>  Pegasus Mail for Windows has always had
>>that ability.
>>If you Forward a message and leave the "Edit this message before
>>Forwarding" option unchecked (we call this "Forwarding without
>>editing")
>>then Resent-* headers are added to the message and the
>>original From: line
>>is left untouched, just like Pine's Bounce command.
>
>Bzzzt! Wrong!  Pegasus has never done it.  Many have tried.  The problem, as
>I recall (may be wrong), is that LISTSERV doesn't use the From line.  The
>message will appear on the list with a From line for the listowner's address
>rather than the author's.  Ditto for Eudora and all the others with a resend
>command.  Same thing.  Historically, at least, it doesn't work.

I don't know why.  I just forwarded without editing a post to myself
using Pegasus, and it puts in the same "Resent" headers that Pine does
using its "bounce" command.

Whether Listserv uses your original "From" line in this case, or
substitutes the "Resent-From" line instead, depends on your list
settings, but hopefully if it was working with Pine that's not an
issue.

Since I'm not in a position to use the one list of my own which honors
the original "From:" line in this situation as a testing ground, I
can't prove that it actually works.  But I have both Pine and Pegasus
mail available, there's no significant difference between what Pine
and Pegasus put in the header using these commands.  *That* I've
demonstrated to my satisfaction.

Dennis