"David B. O'Donnell" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 May 1995 08:45:40 -0400
On Tue, 30 May James Bryan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Is there anyway to deal with the numerous amount of error messages, to a
> mailing list, generated from America Online?

I generally just slog through them and delete every subscriber that has an
error. Our members are well aware of the facilities to manage their mailbox,
and those who cannot really don't need to be on my lists (one of which
commonly generates 200+ pieces of mail a day). For those not familiar with
AOL's mail system, members can have up to 550 pieces of e-mail stored on
AOL's server before a 551 Mailbox full error is generated. Both Mac and
Windows clients can use "Flashsessions" to periodically retrieve all unread
mail from the AOL host machine to their local PC, and we encourage members to
do so - particularly when participating in mailing lists.

FWIW, we also try to work with list owners whose lists have high traffic,
lots of AOL users or both, to provide local USENET echoes of the list. These
local echoes are accessible only by AOL users and, if the list is run on
Revised LISTSERV, the list owner can protect against unwanted posts in the
usual fashion (by only allowing posts by subscribers). If you'd like to
explore this option, please send me e-mail.

I understand that the mail system programmers are adding in code to limit
some of the bounce messages sent to mailing list owners, but they have been
delayed by other concerns (such as the ever-increasing volume of Internet
mail handled by our gateways).

--
__ David B. O'Donnell ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])
\/ AOL Internet Feedback/Response/Information Team Manager