"John R. Stephens, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 10 Feb 1993 12:43:07 EST
Just an observation, but I think your analysis of listservs and how they will
cease to be is just a little off base.  I operate two lists on a listserv.
My experience is that the listserv does not care what the mode of transmission
over the net is, as long as it has a valid address.(No system will work without
a valid address.)

I have not done an extensive analysis, but from memory I remember list members
being on Internet, Bitnet, FIDONET, Compuserve, America On Line, and two or
three other nets I do not recognize  plus a couple which I suspect are packet
radio.  The only problems I have experienced are members changing addresses
and not letting me or the list know, and nodes changing names and not telling
anyone.

I do not know Eric Thomas personally, but I do know his work.  The listserv
appears to me to be a labor of love.  He upgrades the software as it appears
to be necessary.  I have faith that Eric will recognize and make the changes
required so that Listserv will continue to be a useful tool on the nets for
years to come.  The use of listserv has been a positive and enlightening
experience both in my professional life as well as in my personal life.
Without listserv I doubt I would have been able to correspond with persons
around the world who have the same professional interests and hobbies.
Thanks Eric!     - John R. Stephens, Jr. (JStephen@UGA)

John R. Stephens, Jr.-Director        Telephone (706) 542-1582
Instructional Resources Center        Facsimile (706) 542-0518
South Instructional Plaza             Bitnet    JSTEPHEN@UGA
University of Georgia                 Internet  [log in to unmask]
Athens, Georgia 30602-3015            Easylink 62056973   Telex 41-4190