Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:24:09 -0500
On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Nathan Brindle wrote:

>If it was not a MIME attachment then Attachments= No would not have
>stopped it, as documented and as discussed previously on this list (if
>I am not mistaken about the latter).

I looked at the raw text of the bounce I received back from our
Exchange server here, and attached message that was contained in it
was most definitely in MIME message/rfc822 format.

>AFAIK Exchange doesn't send
>MIME attachments by default.  Gates seems to prefer sending inline
>uuencoded junk instead of MIME message parts that LISTSERV can see
>and reject or filter.

My other university account is an Outlook/Exchange account so I
decided to test this by attaching an image to a message sent to this
account.  Outlook sent it in MIME format.  This is Outlook 2000, not
Outlook 97.  And probably more important, it is Outlook going through
Exchange, not a direct Internet connection.  Since I can't find any
way to select a setting of MIME or UUencode in Outlook when connected
to an Exchange server, I don't know whether this is Outlook 2000 at
work, whether Microsoft has finally changed the default for Exchange,
or whether the people who installed Exchange here selected MIME
instead of UUencode as the attachment encoding method.  I rather
suspect that it is the third of these.

Dennis