Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:20:59 -0600
Eric wrote:
>> There are also legal implications to editing or deleting messages.

Chuck Brandstater replied:
> I appreciate his noting this. In our case, there is no corporate entity to
> own the content. But I'm curious: If someone mistakenly posted to a list
> personal info--their own or someone else's in a situation where neither
> the "victim" nor anyone else had a clear legal interest in the disclosure's
> remaining included in list content--then would the employer, if any, be
> justified in refusing to excise the info from the archives, even if asked
> to do so by the sender about their own details? Or does he mean that an
> employer (or a third party to which the employer was answerable on some
> level) would always have at least an arguable interest in the retention?

Practically, remember that if the information has been distributed, it has
been distributed.  You can delete it from the list archives, but some
subscribers may retain copies, and may share the info with others.  It is
a little late to close the barn door after the animals have escaped.

If it is the poster's personal info, tough luck, he should have had sense
enough not to send it in the first place.  If it is info on someone else
other than the poster, I *might* consider it.  Depends on the list, and
I know nothing about your list.

To tell you the truth, I got a little lost with your saying "no corporate
entity", then you about the poster, and someone else, and then an employer.
It is a little difficult, for me, to figure out who might have an interest
and why.  A concrete example would be helpful.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]