Margaret Levine Young <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:45:33 -0500
At our site (ListProc with 100+ lists), we have been having an argument
with the list managers about posting monthly FAQs. Most of them don't see
the point, while we site managers want to require monthly FAQs.

Here's our compromise:

1. We are adding a rotating one-line footer to all lists (except maybe
announcement-only lists), with lines like "LIST TIP: For list instructions,
see <URL>" and "LIST TIP: to leave this list, send <command> to <ListProc
address>" and "LIST TIP: Problems with the list? E-mail <manager address>".

2. Automated monthly posting of each list's INFO (FAQ) file to the list.

What do you all think? Have you tried rotating footers? We choose that
method because no one wanted multiline footers (which appear over and over
in digests, not just at the end of the digest, at least in ListProc), and
because we can throw in the occasional silly or philosophical tip to keep
people reading.

Margy Levine Young <[log in to unmask]>
Coauthor of "The Internet For Dummies," 5th Ed. and "Windows 98: The
Complete Reference" <http://net.gurus.com>
Looking for kids' videos? Check out <http://www.greattapes.com>