Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:00:37 +1000
>Same here Paul (1981 Logair Station Mt. Home AFB, ID).  I'm still in the
>military (since 78), and we're finally caught up with the times.  I like
my
>Dell laptop.

Ain't progress grand?  ;-)

>To bring it back to our topic at hand, if I were to set our list to
accept
>attachments, will it mess with the digest folks?  We do have folks who
>would like to post pictures to the list.

Pete Wiess has already addressed the 'value' of attachments so I won't
elaborate any further.

To answer your question, those people who receive a MIME digests shouldn't
be affected too much.  If the photos are attached to a post then they'll
appear as embedded attachements within each digest part.  If the photos
are included inline as part of an HTML e-mail, though, it's anybody's
guess as to how it will turn out.  This is more dependent on the
recipient's e-mail client than LISTSERV.

The problem will occur more with those who receive traditional plain-text
digests.  They'll get to see the photos in all their encoded glory as one
large (but very nicely formatted) block of non-sensical text.  It will be
even more phantasmagorical with an HTML post.

Pete mentioned that the web is best used to view pictures.  A better
suggestion for you may be to offer your subscribers a web space where you
can host pictures for them and then simply post a URL to the list.

Another creative solution that I've seen is where someone created a second
list, with web access and the same subscribers as the first, but SET
everyone to NOMAIL.  Pictures are then sent to the second list and those
who want to see them just log into the web interface and browse to their
heart's content.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.