Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 5 Jan 91 18:52:04 +0100
On Fri, 4 Jan 91 21:36:00 EST "James F. Bradshaw (803) 656-2407"
<JAMES@CLEMSON> said:
>  1) 550 Error  Message What needs to be done  to correct this scenario?
>     Sample text follows:

It's a  problem at  their site,  ie *they* know  how to  fix it  (if they
don't,  they  should call  the  software  vendor). They  have  apparently
decided  to restrict  access  to the  internet via  some  exit such  that
anybody can send but not everybody can receive mail. There is nothing you
can do about it,  apart from complaining. If I were you,  I'd give them a
choice  between ensuring  that anybody  who  sends can  also receive,  or
cutting service off for their whole site; I'm just not looking forward to
hundreds  of bounced  mail in  my  reader because  users are  desperately
trying to order  help files from my  server and don't know  that they can
only post...

>  2)  The  subscriber's  EMAIL  appears   to  contain  an  expansion  of
>     nickname's text  within the body  of his messages. When  posting to
>     the list, the "nickname expansion" doesn't present any problems;

Other than being a royal pain in the chairwarmer for the other people.

>     Are there PROFS options to suppress the "nicknames expansion"?

PROFS requires no configuration option, since it is delivered to the site
in a  perfect state  (by definition). PF9  is HELP,  the forward/backward
PFkeys can  be about anything  except PF7/PF8  and vary according  to the
panel -  as you can  see, the brain-damaging  is not limited  to nickname
expansion.

There are two solutions. First, the  nicknames are placed by PROFS in the
beginning of the message file the user is editing. Although the cursor is
initially placed below them, I understand that you are not prevented from
moving  it up  and overwriting  the  lines in  question if  such is  your
desire. Second,  if you place  a '//whatever  JOB' card somewhere  in the
message,  the  JCL pre-processor  will  discard  anything it  encountered
before. Neither is a good solution,  but then PROFS isn't a good solution
either ;-)

  Eric