John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Jul 1992 09:24:35 -0500
| Date: 23 Jul 1992 09:50:02 -0400 (EDT)
| From: Jim Gerland - Network User Support <[log in to unmask]>
|
| On Thu, 23 Jul 1992 06:53:28 -0500 John B Harlan said:
| >| You already have this.  Use the command: REVIEW listname (SHORT
| >
| >    I use the that command regularly, but what I'm asking for is a
| >simpler, more straightforward way for a ListServ user (as opposed to
| >a listowner) to find the name(s) and e-mail address(es) of the listowner(s),
|
| That is a 'user' command, not restricted to 'owners'

     I'm afraid I'm not making myself clear  :-)  I know that both owners
and users can use

          REView listname (SHORT

but my point is that it would be nice to have a simpler command available
*especially* for ListServ *users* that would enable them to quickly and
brainlessly retrieve the names(s) and address(es) of the list(s) they were
having trouble with.

     REView ... (SHORT is fine for ListServ maintainers, listowners and
*experienced* users, but many of our users aren't up to figuring out a
header (as simple as headers may appear to us), and can't deal with files
vs e-mail (which is how they might receive the header, based on their site's
profile).  Why not give them a quick and easy way of finding out who they
need to contact *without* giving them the whole header or list?

| >| You already have this.  Use the command: GET listname (NOLOCK
| >
| >    I realize that, too  :-)  Again, I'm looking for a better (i.e.,
| >automated) way of getting that information without having to manually
| >go through the list line by line -- especially for big lists.  The
|
| I guess I don't understand why you would want a list of just the concealed
| subscribers.  [remainder deleted]

     Pure listowner curiosity, unrelated to error messages, mail bounces,
etc.  :-)  Again, I'm just looking for a cleaner, quicker, automated way
of doing it by adding a (CONCEAL option to the REView command

| Jim...

                                                                    John