Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:44:38 +0000
Hi,

At 05:33 PM 98/03/17 -0500, Marianne Brophy wrote:
>Hi,
>
>If I post to a super-list, will that post only show up in the
>superlist's archives, and not in any of the sub-lists' archives?
>Because the post is actually being sent to the sub-lists' subscribers,
>not to the sub-lists (and so their archives) themselves?

Yes, the superlist message goes only to the superlist archives.

>Also, if someone is set to NOMAIL on all of the sub-lists, would they
>get a super-list post?  The manual says you'd get "the super-message if
>you have an active (non NOMAIL) subscription to at least one sub-list",
>but then it also says "the only way not to get the super-messages is to
>subscribe to the super-list directly and set yourself to NOMAIL".

I have not tested this, but my understanding is that what this mean is that
you *can* turn off superlist messages even though you are set to mail on a
sublist by subscribing to the superlist and setting nomail.  You can also
turn off superlist messages by setting all of your sublist subscriptions to
nomail.

>(Sorry if either or both of these are duh! questions.)

No, it took me a while to figure this out when superlists first came out.
Now I see them as an essential feature.  We run a bunch of related lists.
Before superlists, we would send important announcements to all of our
lists.  Since many people were subscribed to several lists, they would
complain about getting multiple copies.  Now we have a superlist and
everyone on any (or all) of our lists gets just one copy of the important
announcements.

                               Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler - Education & Psychology, Univ. of Cincinnati  >>
<<  Email: [log in to unmask]      URL: http://www.uc.edu/~wheeler/  >>