Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:58:34 -0600
From: "Ben Parker" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:34 PM

> I think that in most cases (the CHANGE command is a known exception), the
> From: address used for the OK-Confirm operation need not match the
> address-mailed-to by LISTSERV as long as the cookie code does match.

Unfortunately, the Confirm command for subscription renewal doesn't use the
OK-Confirm technique. There's no correlator number.

> >When a Probe is sent to a nonworking address, the error goes undetected.
>
> You have mentioned something like this before.  This would suggest some
> possible problem with your installation that prevents such bounces from
> getting back to LISTSERV.  If they do get to LISTSERV the bad addresses
> will be auto-deleted (assuming you have sensible autodel settings).
>
> Probe messages (both passive probe and active probe) go out with a
> modified Return-Path address:

Aha! this is perhaps the hint I need.

I cannot find any Return-Path: header entry on the active probe messages
sent to me. Also, I cannot see any on my list email, though I have checked
enough that I should (in my test setup) have received a passive probe. I
also cannot see any in the non-probe type of renewal notice, although when
one of those bounces from a bad address, an error is detected.

Maybe these are stripped off by my email interface (Outlook Express). But
that seems unlikely, because I can view the full trail of Received: header
entries, which are (according to the RFCs) in the same class (Trace) of
header fields.

You describe known problems with messages coming back via the probe's
outbound? It's possible our site administrator needs to deal with this, but
unless I can recite chapter and verse when I report a problem, those guys
are amazingly unhelpful.

Is there any passive probing on THIS list (LSTOWN-L)? Maybe scanning
received messages from a different server will be helpful.

Hal Keen