Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 21:24:53 -0800
At 7:27 PM -0800 4/19/97, Karen Strauss wrote:
>If you don't mind handing the problem by hand, you might try what I do. I
>have a list of 326 subscribers, averaging between 75 and 100 messages a
>day, and I get really sick of "mailbox full" errors. AOL users seem to
>generate most of these. I was dealing with about 500 mailbox full errors a
>day and I didn't want to delete these users (I'd just have to help them
>resubscribe later), so I now have a (quiet) policy of switching all
>subscribers with mailbox full problems with digest mode. That way I get
>only about four bounced mail messages a day from each of them. The really
>weird thing is that even after the full mailbox is cleared out, they don't
>seem to notice that they are in digest mode for two to three weeks. Then I
>get a message telling me that my list is "broken." <grin>

Thanks for the suggestion.  I used to do this on another, much smaller
(600+) list that I own.  However, the lists I am seeking information on are
much larger (14,000+, 15,000+, and 16,000+), and we upgraded to 1.8c
specifically because of improved performance in auto-delete and probe.

I'll reiterate again that auto-delete does NOT delete addresses with
temporary errors, such as mailbox full or host down.  It only acts on
permanent errors, such as unknown user and unknown host.  I just need to be
clear about what triggers it to act.

Sherry

   Sherry Beauchamp         Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
   [log in to unmask]                   http://www.SSRN.Com

   Leading Social Science Research Delivered to Your Desktop Daily