Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Sep 1993 10:14:04 -0400
Tim Rushing <[log in to unmask]> said:

> I received the following request for a list I manage.  Does anyone
> know of a way to prevent listserv from including the instructions
> for an index?

We also had the problem of subscribers with expensive connections
wanting to get the INDEX without the long instructions.  We were
very pleased that Eric implemented the INDEX-H file option.  As
he explained in his answer, if this file is present, it is
substituted for the instructions normally sent with the INDEX.

The INDEX-H files for all of our lists are just six lines long.
Here is a sample:

> To retrieve individual messages or get additional help, send
> email to [log in to unmask] (or LISTSERV@NDSUVM1 on BITNET)
> with commands like these in the TEXT of your message:
>
>  /SHIP KIDFORUM  5012  5025-5027    (to retrieve these messages)
>  GET KIDLINK INDEXHLP               (to get help file          )

We do have the advantage over most of you that Marty Hoag
implemented the /SHIP command at NoDak so that our users don't
have to worry about the JCL.  Feel free to retrieve our INDEXHLP
file for more information.

It is not important to us because we already have it, but it
might be nice to have SHIP as a regular LISTSERV command.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>