Steve Price <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:44:34 -0600
On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 02:24:46PM -0500, Pete Weiss wrote:
>  >Currently the list header has 'Errors-to= owner' but that doesn't
>  >appear to be all that needs to be done.  Users are posting messages
>  >and they are receiving the bounce messages and not the owner of the
>  >list.
>
> That is probably a bug in the receiving mail server code -- apparently it
> is NOT using the RFC821 MAIL FROM:<OWNER-listname@listhost>
> address.  Nothing you can do about that, other than set subscriber to
> DIGEST of INDEX (or just DELETE).

Well I'm not quite convinced of this but I'll definitely hang on
to this bit of advice just in case the lead I'm on now doesn't pan
out.  It seems *listserv* is setting the Errors-To in the original
message to the list and the mailserver is just doing what it is
told to do.  Either that or the user's mailer is doing it.  Here
are the appropriate parts of the mail header.  NOTE: the names
have been changed to protect the guilty^Winnocent.

>>Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:27:42 -0500
>>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>>From: John Q. Public <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject:      Some subject line