Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:05:29 -0700
At 11:51 PM 3/13/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Since the article is published on the web, and the posting included the
>author's name and referenced where it came from, I don't think you would run
>into any copyright problems.  I'm no lawyer, but that is the way I have
>approached this sort of stuff in my own web stuff.  If someone knows that I
>am totally wrong, I would be interested in knowing since I do this
>occasionally.

I too am not a lawyer, but I am a librarian with considerable knowledge and
experience in copyright and related intellectual property issues.

There is no way that distribution of multiple copies of ANY copyrighted
works can be considered "fair use" or any other legal sort of copying
without the permission of the copyright holder.  (And, for those who've
forgotten, ALL text or images are copyrighted upon the act of creation, and
do NOT require registration, though that does give extra protection to the
owner).  Note that I'm not suggesting that the copyright owner will object,
file suit, or anything else.  But I also firmly believe in teaching, and
doing our best, to do what is right and legal.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA 208-383-0165
[log in to unmask]   http://www.84.com/  http://www.idaholibraries.org/