W Schipper <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:00:51 -0230
Recently we shut down a list with about 1600 addresses in the subscriber
list, made some major modifications in how the list is managed, and then
restarted the list.

Before restarting the list, I deleted everyone from the list, then
deleted duplicated addresses, and resubscribed everyone.  I then sent
out three test messages over a two week period, in which I invited
people who did not want to be on the list any longer to unsubscribe, or
let me know.  At the same time, sending the test message had the
salubrious effect of exposing addresses that were no longer valid.

Here's my problem now:  there seem to be quite a number of subscribers
who are subscribed under an old address, from which mail from the list
is forwarded to their current address.  Often this is a change within
their own system -- a new mail system, a new server, a new way of doing
things.  They can thus receive mail, but when they try to send something
back to the list, or change their subscription options, LISTSERV bounces
their mail with the message that they are not authorized to do what they
want to do.

My question:  is there a way of testing all the addresses now in the
subscriber list, behind the scenes, so to speak, so that LISTSERV can
check the addresses, and send me a list of those that are not current?

Many thanks for your collective wisdom on this.

Bill

--
Dr. W. Schipper                     Email: [log in to unmask]
Department of English,              Tel: 709-737-4406