John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:13:44 -0500
> Regarding:  Send= Private,Editor,Hold,Confirm
>
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, John Lyon wrote:
> >
> > This is not a correct setting. Private and Editor are conflicting
> > options. You need either: Send= Private,Confirm or Send=
> > Editor,Hold,Confirm
>
> If they are conflicting options, then LISTSERV(R) version 1.8d neglected to
> warn me of such.  Furthermore, I have not noticed any undesireable behavior
> yet resulting from this setting.

LISTSERV is using the first option it comes to, which in this case is
Private. Hold has no meaning with Private so what you wind up with is:
Send= Private,Confirm
So I assume that is the behavior you desired.
Try this and see what happens:
Send= Editor,Private,Hold,Confirm
This will equate to:
Send= Editor,Hold,Confirm
Which I assume is not desireable.

> > Using Send= Private rejects all non-subscribers posts. Send= Editor
> > sends all non-subscribers posts to the moderator for approval, unless
> > NoPost is a Default-Option. Due to all the spam these days, many Owners
> > are shying away from Send=Editor and using other options.
>
> Send= Private,Editor appears to result in filtering out non-subscriber
> posts and trapping REVIEW subscribers' posts for moderation.  Does that
> behavior you describe apply only to 1.8e?  My default option for new
> subscribers is REVIEW, not NOPOST.

Again, LISTSERV is using Private so non-subscribers are being rejected.
Since everyone is on Review, their posts go to the moderator. If you read
the documentation on the Send= keyword you will see that Private and
Editor together is not an option as you cannot let all subscribers post
freely and have them all go to the Editor too.