Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:34:11 GMT
It seems Mr.  "Lefty" did not understand there *is* a  problem  with
bounces,  and  that this problem growths exponentially.  Perhaps, if
he could suggest any other  "better thought" idea (other than either
dealing with AOL generated bounces  or  closing  the  conference  to
*@AOL) it would be appreciated.

As Senior list owner D. Winship  stated,  I do not need any "lesson"
on managing a conference: Factually, I created and have managed  for
nearly  4  years  the world's largest, most active (most successful)
scientific  conference  on  FISH-ECOLOGY  and  related  issues.  The
membership consists of 1.700 scientists from 50  countries  and  the
scientific  "elite"  in  the  fields  is  steadily subscribed to the
conference.  The conference has  been  mentioned 4 times (during the
past 18 months in scientific journals such as The American Fisheries
Society, etc.).  Furthermore, [log in to unmask] became the
ground  to  set  up  and  create   Fish   and   Fisheries   Research
(FFResearch), the first peer-reviewed, on-line scientific journal in
the field (a cooperative project sponsored by the Swedish University
Network,  L-Soft  International,  FAO  and  the  U.  of Las Palmas).
FFResearch has a scientific board of 110 Senior scientists, the real
"heavy-weights" in  the  "wish-world".   So  Mr.   Lefty, before you
enounce any judgements  over  my  desire  to  work,  my  ability  or
avocation, I would suggest you brush-your-teeth.  Do it, please.

Moreover, the conference I manage will not be closed to *@AOL so far
because,  as  stated  before,  _there  are  several  retired  Senior
scientists  and  scholars  who  like/need  to  be  in touch with the
scientific community_ who  happen  to  be  AOL customers.  Also, the
conference is a channel for junior scientists  to  learn  from  both
Seniors  and  the  wisdom  accumulated  by those retired scientists.
That's  why  I  have  (sometimes)   to   loose  my  time  with  this
"AOL-thing".  To me, the easiest way to skip this problem  would  be
to discriminate AOL customers (=your "well thought" suggestion :-).

Enough time wated.
Cheers,

    Aldo-Pier Solari/mngr. [log in to unmask]
    fishery biologist (MSc., PhD-candidate).

] From: Lefty <[log in to unmask]>

]His suggestion as to  how  AOL  should "resolve" this "problem" was,
]frankly, not terribly well thought-out, to say the very  least.   If
]he  has such massive problems with AOL subscribers, and is unwilling
]to deal with them directly, he  should close his list to subscribers
]from that source.

]deal with error messages, then he should look for another avocation
] They're part of the package.