Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 31 Mar 1996 18:41:13 -0500
>Date:    Sun, 31 Mar 1996 13:40:38 -0600
>From:    "J. R. Lankford" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Topics Question
>
>If I enable the "Other" topic, will messages that don't fall within a
>specific topic appear on the list with a subject line reading:
>
>Other: xxxxx

One doesn't "enable" the "Other" topic. It is essentially a built-in topic
to which all messages without a valid topic are sent. Subscribers may SET it
as they would any of the topics established by the Topics= keyword. It may
also be used in the Default-topics= keyword.

>If someone replies to a topic message, will the response come through reading:
>
>Topicname: Re: Topicname xxxxx
>
>I'm trying to figure out what the actual subject lines will look like.

Let's say you had only two valid topics in your list, "Outings" and
"Meetings". In addition to these two topics which would be defined with the
Topics= keyword, the "All" topic is available to subscribers to get
everything that is posted.

Messages with these subject lines would go to subscribers with these topics:

Message Subject             Outings       Meetings     All    Other

Outings: May 5th hike           X                       X
OUT: Leader list                X                       X
Meeting,Outing: Meet at cabin   X             X         X
Meetings,O: In case of rain     X             X         X
If it rains, meet at office                             X       X

Later.  Ed Paynter