C&MS Listserv Manager <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 11:54:26 EDT
Eric responded to my query:

 >On Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:55:34 EDT C&MS Listserv Manager
 ><[log in to unmask]> said: >
 >>When storing a header with the new-list option, I received the message
 >>back that old digest was deleted (or some such).
 >
 >If you update from a configuration where digests are enabled to a
 >configuration where digests are disabled, the old digest is deleted.
 >Presumably you'll have warned users in advance of your intent to disable
 >digests on the list, etc.  In this case I assume you did not really mean
 >to disable digests, but then once you set a "New-List=" keyword on a
 >list, the whole list is disabled.  People can't subscribe or post to it
 >any longer - everything is forwarded to the new host.  In other words, the
 >list becomes a simple forwarding facility.

Eric, the new site did a GET from us and a PUT to their site.  DIGEST
was enabled on the original list, and when I reviewed the new list it
was also enabled.  So, unless it was manually enabled and disabled in
a short period of time by the new owner, I don't think this applies.
What does LISTSERV do in this case?  Move the existing digest to the
new location and delete the old one, but just give the delete
message? I haven't verified with the list as to what happened, i.e.,
if the "digest to date" was really lost, but I can't think of a good
way to check this out.
 --Bitnet: LISTMGR@SUVM      Internet: [log in to unmask]           --