Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 13:12:37 -0500
On Sat, 11 Nov 1995, Ingrid H. Shafer wrote:

> I realize that I should direct this to the SPAM list but I am not subscribed
> to that list and don't know the address.  The lists I manage are set to
> send=private, so I haven't been particularly concerned about spams. Hence I
> was surprised when a little while ago I received a notice from listserv at
> vm.temple.edu concerning a possible spam.   Sure enough, [log in to unmask]
> was trying to peddle a substance to help people beat drugtests:

        Yes, he also subscribed to my send=private list and then tried
to send his spam, but fortunately LISTSERV caught it.  I noted that he
sent the spam to 14 lists (including mine), and a different 14 when he
tried to send to Ingrid Shafer's list.  Apparently, he's under the
impression that 15 is the cut-off for the spam-detector.

        I would suggest, by the way, that in the future, if people want
to publicize the doings of spammers, they not reproduce much of the message.
It would be especially good not to include the product's specific features
nor where/how one can obtain it.  Why give the spammer's product any more
free publicity?

        Again, many thanks to Eric for listserv's exceedingly valuable
anti-spam feature.  (I'm also wild about REVIEW!)

        Joan Korenman

*       Joan Korenman                 Internet: [log in to unmask]           *
*       U. of Md. Baltimore County                    or                    *
*       Baltimore, MD 21228-5398                [log in to unmask]     *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *