Sat, 20 Apr 2002 02:17:31 -0500
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Wheeler, Doug (NTC) wrote:
> Gee Douglas, I've been in the business since the dinosaurs roamed the
> earth too, but your answer, however clever, isn't particularly helpful,

Well that is quite all right as it wasn't meant to be helpful, it was a
comment on the use (misuse ?) by L-SOFT of the term "classic."

> unless you are implying that the Listserv Classic v1.8d (as per L-Softs
> nomenclature) doesn't support this feature on the Windows platform.

I don't know whether it does or not, but the function isn't a "classic"
function, and Windows NT isn't a "classic" LISTSERV platform, so I don't
see how you can have such a thing as a "classic" Windows NT LISTSERV
program. LISTSERV sitll works on VM/VMS/CMS machines, with all the old
functions which have not been ported elsewhere, *and* the new features have
been added. My objection is to the marketing use (misuse ?) of the term
"classic" for non-"classic" platforms and functions when it hasn't
ported very useful "classic" functions to non-"classic" platforms.

Pete said I should fix myself a rum & coke (Classic, of course) and relax.
Well, you can buy things marketed as "Coke Classic" but they really ain't,
as the original, the true classic, contained cocaine. And, beside that,
Coca-Cola has always varied, according to the tastes of the marketing
target (when I was a kid we didn't want Pat's cokes bought in Mexico (a lot
cheaper) as they quite noticeably contained more sugar, and Pat's kids
didn't wan't US cokes, not sweet enough (if the bottles got mixed in the
ice chests one taste would tell which was which)). So, what is the "Coke
Classic" which I am to mix with my rum (it won't contain cocaine, but we'll
skip that due to legal points)?

Lest you ask, the point of that is the use (misuse ?) of the term "classic"
as a marketing term rather than a true discriptor, which I do not like
(gasp! really?!?!).

Douglas Winship   [log in to unmask]

"One such convention requires that the goddess should, if possible, play
the _se_, a large antique zither, its true classical form long since
forgotten."
   Edward H. Schafer; _The Divine Woman : Dragon Ladies and Rain Maidens in
                       T'ang Literature_