Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 01:15:08 EDT
Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Rebooting the  computer should not affect  LISTSERV in any way  as far as
>these messages are concerned. I only see two explanations:
>
>1. The reboot causes the mail server to resubmit these messages somehow.

Has anyone ever seen this happen, with messages coming back for
their second review, I wonder?

>2. The  messages were in  hold status (jobh) and  you have a  script that
>   renames *.jobh to *.job before restarting LISTSERV.

Ditto this?

>Or of course they came back from the usenet gateway another time, etc.

This is what Maureen had felt that it was -- Something to do with the
history file for rec.music.dylan on american.edu's news server? (I think
this was after consulting with both you and Jim McIntosh.) She
adjusted her daily message limit very high, and I believe the history
file at american.edu was made much larger? The hope was that this would
prevent repeats from coming back again. It's never entirely solved the
problem, although there was improvement at first.

I wonder if adjustment of the history file at the news server level is
something that needs to be done periodically (?)

Anyway ... Thanks Eric, for the reply. :-)

George
sitting in for Maureen
HWY61-L