Bill Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:09:13 -0500
> > I have several WebTV users on the list I manage (yes, amazingly
enough,
> > WebTV still exists).  One of them has been e-mailing me persistently
> > over the last few weeks, complaining that he isn't getting any mail
from
> > the list.  He says the problem started after he got a probe message.
> >
> > His subscription looks fine to me (not set to nomail or anything like
> > that).  His address has never shown up on the daily error report.  One
> > of the other WebTV people did turn up on the error report last week,
but
> > just once.
> >
> > He has continued e-mailing me, demanding that I "do something."  He
> > says that the WebTV people say everything's fine and therefore the
> > problem must be at my end.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  Has anyone else had a problem with WebTV
> > subscribers?
>
> I haven't any experience with WebTV, but here's a suggestion: If the
problem
> started with a probe, then maybe something changed at that point, either
as
> a result of what he did with it or what his provider did with it. I
suspect
> a filter got created somewhere.
>
> Problems which show up only as a stoppage of list email, for a
particular
> subscriber, are typically the result of filtering. I have no idea
whether a
> WebTV user has access to filtered mail, or can reconfigure to gain such
> access. But if you can't see a problem at your end, he should at least
take
> your word as equal in value to his provider's finger-pointing.
>
> No legitimate analyst will say "everything is fine"; the correct
response is
> "I can't find anything--yet!" (and maybe an offer to get in touch
directly
> with the person at the other end).

Odd that it goes through to all but one subscriber (that you know of).  If
the original poster can work with the site manager, and whomever works
wonders with the mail relay used, they should get the logs tht shows
successful delivery to the WebTV MX.  From then on, it is definitely a
WebTV issue.  Perhaps it could be as simple as a mistaken/accidental click
on "This is spam" if such a button exists on WebTV.  The knowledge that
such a button on AOL is very close to the delete button I learned from
this list and has been very helpful in troubleshooting non-list email
issues I deal with.

I'll be my lunch money the user accidentally blacklisted the list.