Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 01:01:21 GMT
On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:37:26 +0000, "Pauline M. Marshall"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>What I wanted to do, was have all non-subscriber posts to come to me, and
>I would put a 'this message was sent form a non-subscriber, please respond
>to them directly" on the top of the message, and bounce it along to the
>list, with the original sender's address as the reply, and not mine.  In
>this case, it should be 'from' the original authour.
>
>I use PINE (for LINUX) and haven't found an agreeable way to do this.  I
>would appreciate it if anyone can think/find one.

The original poster was in a Windows environment, so I answered from that
perspective.  Pine was my favorite mail client before I moved to windows so
I remember it well and still use it on occasion.

I agree that in the above scenario you aren't really changing the msg
content, merely adding an editorial framework for it in terms of your list.

But I am not aware of any mail client that allows this without jumping
through *some* hoops, and with some it's well nigh impossible.  Even with
my favorite client (Agent) I would have to do all sorts of header
manipulation to get things to come out right and still the msg as posted to
the list would appear to come from me, although I would set the Reply-To to
point to the non-subscriber.

The 'resent-' mechanism in LISTSERV is a from an older era.  I don't know
of any present mail clients that give this kind of flexibility.  The needs
of a List Administrator are slightly different from regular email, and the
mail client market for List Admins hasn't been big enough to attract any
significant effort in this vein yet.

 Ben Parker .......... (Aurora, CO) ........... [log in to unmask]