"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:31:32 -0500
Karen wrote, in part..
> Also, I am interested in what posting policies that others have developed
> for their lists in regards to flaming, prayer, copyrighted materials, etc.
> and I'd really like to read the guidelines that others post to their lists.

Participants on my lists are expected to remain respectful, legal and
on topic at all times.  Occasionally a topic comes by that is
questionable for the list purpose and then the administrator must step
in and make a binding decision.  Participants are *welcome* to
question, challenge or comment on my decisions and those of my
co-administrators ... but NEVER ON THE LISTS.  We always welcome
constructive private mail.  We also have a *separate* list where any
list-related matters may be discussed.  That way, people can voice
their arguments and ideas without disturbing those that just want the
information content of the main lists.

"Semi-moderation" is a great tool because it is an excellent compromise
between an open quick-response list and a fully moderated
(time-consuming) list.  I use a few variations, but in simplest terms
you might consider the following for your list:

   * default-options=review
   * send=editor,hold
   * [log in to unmask],(listname)

These settings cause

+   all new subscribers to have "Review" associated with their
    subscription.

+   all posts from non-subscribers to be reviewed

+   you to use the "OK" mechanism to authorize a reviewed submission,
    which means you just discard unwanted submissions.

+   you to control who posts without need for review with SET REVIEW

+   you to maintain control while your real participants carry on the
    conversation of the list.

+   you to have separated the functions of reading and writing.

Hope this helps; disrupters are no fun and a waste of time.
wayne

Wayne T. Smith               mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group -- CAPS        University of Maine System