Bill Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:42:35 -0400
Julia LaBua <[log in to unmask]>wrote on 09/20/2006 12:22:48 PM:

> One of the lists for which I am a moderator received an unusual request
> join today, and I wondered if anyone here had any ideas on whether it
sounds
> off to them (I am a real Listserv newbie, just learning my way around).
>
> Normally, people who join our lists don't make special requests, but
this
> person made the following settings requests: FULLHDR, NOACK, NOREPRO,
> CONCEAL.
>
> So they want to see full headers, and they don't want any sort of
> acknowledgment sent to them regarding any messages they send, and they
don't
> want their presence to be revealed to the other members (although owners
can
> always see who is subscribed, of course).
>
> What's odd about this is that our list is pretty exclusively an
> announcements-only list -- in other words, people who belong to the list
> don't post (although they can) and the only posts to the list are by the
> owners sending out information about upcoming events or news items.
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback from the lot of experts here on whether we
> should approve this request or not.

I wouldn't do it without verifying who the user is, and why they are
making such odd requests.  Put them on review if you cannot justify
refusing them, but still don't trust them.

Gut level tells me that the desire to send messages without hearing back
that they sent it in any form (NOACK, NOREPRO) means it's spam.