Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:59:04 EDT
On Tue, 8 Apr 1997 16:27:46 EST Randy Porter said:
>     I think that you missed my question.

No, Pete was right on target.

>     The user sent a subscribe message to [log in to unmask] with the list
>     name misspelled. (used PAGE-L instead of PAG-L)
>
>     My LISTSERV forwarded the message to somewhere else where that
>     misspelling was a valid name ([log in to unmask]) and subscribed
>     the user to the list PAGE-L list (IBM PAGE PRINTERS).

That's correct, the GLX forwarded the request to what it believed was the
correct place.  Your user simply "misdialed" and "got a wrong number",
which was Pete's analogy.

>     The entry in the listserv log file that did this was
>     8 Apr 1997 10:57:09 To   [log in to unmask]: The PAGE-L list is unknown
>     to [log in to unmask] Your request is being (...)
>
>     I'm not asking for anything like fuzzy logic, just a way to turn off
>     the auto forward if the list isn't valid.

But the list <is> valid, the <user> simply screwed up.  In any case there's
no way to turn off the GLX that I'm aware of.  It's an integral part of
the LISTSERV system.  What you're asking is like asking the phone company
to turn off your access to all phone numbers that you didn't intend to
dial, just because you got a wrong number.

Nathan