"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:44:01 -0800
On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Scout wrote:
> Spam is really just part of dealing with the internet.. either delete
> them or report them .. the later being a lot like work since it needs
> to be done carefully and to the right people.

Yes, it is a lot of work, but there is a service at SpamCop.net which does
that work for you.  All you have to do is forward the spam message with
full headers to the address [log in to unmask], then wait for SpamCop to
reply to you with a special URL to a report of the analysis of the spam's
source ISP and the ISP of the site advertised by the spam (if applicable).
SpamCop even offers to send the complaint messages for you, with your
address in the From header!

Your mileage may vary, but I find it very useful.  I have even received
reports from ISPs that have closed the spammer's account as a result of
the SpamCop report.

In contrast, the Federal Trade Commission [1] and Washington State
Attorney General's office [2], to whom I used to CC spam reports, have not
done anything measurably useful in response to complaints, despite the law
passed in Washington State making spam to Washington residents an offense.

[1] "Federal Trade Commission: Spam Reports" <[log in to unmask]>
[2] Spam Complaints - WA Attorney General's Office <[log in to unmask]>

--
Hope this helps,
Michael