David Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:37:42 +0000
Hi all,

This relates to a list on listserv.aol.com that I'm asked to help with
technical issues on. Whilst I have list owner privileges, I don't have any
direct input into the running of this list.

The bug is that sometimes the last line of text appears *below* the
BOTTOM_BANNER. I note that the list owner's guide for 1.8e comments that
the handling of BOTTOM_BANNER, particularly to do with quoted-printable
has been changed.

RELEASE shows:

LISTSERV(R) High Performance for unix version 1.8e, managed by:

Alias file version: 2002-05-30 12:21:41
Running under: HP-UX B.11.11
Runmode: Standalone

The BOTTOM_BANNER template is precisely what is between the two ----
lines:

####

--
ME Chat - an informal list for anyone in the UK affected by ME or CFS
Mechat eXtra site (by ME Chat members):  http://www.mechat.co.uk

####

(Incidentally, I regard it as a pain that LISTSERV strips the trailing
a separate complaint and actually there's no <space> in the template -
whether LISTSERV would allow one, I don't know - I don't want to attempt
to change the configuration whilst it's exhibiting the problem).

Attempts to get a full version of the input data from the one affected
subscriber who's really annoyed about this have failed - her forwards
don't contain full headers for a start. I suppose I could ask her to cc me
all her submissions.

One thing that is not to blame here is AOL's mail handling - the Received:
headers (I'm on FULLHDR) show that the mail goes directly from the SMTP
relay of the subscriber to LISTSERV - and outwards to subscribers via a
Windows NT box running LSMTP 1.1b.

Here's a raw version of an affected output message - with the 'routing'
related headers snipped, and the subscribers email address hashed out.
Note that the mail program is Outlook Express 6, and the input is declared
Quoted-Printable (really for no good reason - but OE is not exactly known
for the most sensible use of MIME). Again the data sits between the lines
of four #### marks:

####