Simeon ben Nevel <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:21:22 -0700
Dan said:

> My own followup already.  Another member of this brand X list says that
> "listserve" can be used, as it is spelled differently.  I believe that
> again the Kimberly Clark folks would object to Kleenexx as well.  L-Soft??
>
> At 10:52 AM 4/2/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >I've just informed people on a non-LISTSERV mailing list that they should
> >not use the term referrring to a generic mailing list.  They replied that
> >the trademark is only on it in all upper case, and that using it in lower
> >case is not protected.

Actually I think "listserve" is the name used by another mailing list
manager.

I write a lot of FAQ documents about managing mail list subscription
options for the people inhabiting the the various MLs I subscribe to.

When I refer to mailing list managers in general, I usually say
"listserver" or "list-server."  When I'm talking about a specific
listserver, I always write "Listproc", "MajorDomo", "ListServ",
"MajorDomo" etc.

Simeon

--
[log in to unmask]      =-=-=-=-=   A rabbit is just an angel with big ears!
Send mail to [log in to unmask] with Subject: send index to get a listing of