Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 09:47:51 -0800

There are some examples of this. Look at one at muse.bio.cornell.edu
(either via gopher or www); find the taxacom archives. There are
other ones that thread the messages, sort them, etc.

>An international scientific society has asked me to set up a listserv
>list. It will work nicely for general messages to members, and for a
>discussion forum. However, many society members will not subscribe because
>they won't want to be bothered with the extra email,

Have them subscribe anyway. They can set their subscriptions to NOMAIL
so they don't receive messages. For lists that require a subscription
in order to post messages (Send= private), they must be subbed if they
want to participate in the list's discussions.

>One way this could be done is by having an html version of the threaded
>messages that people could access from the society's home page. Is there
>a better way?

The general idea is correct. Just subscribe a dummy subscriber (actually,
a userid where a process/daemon is looking to grab all email from the
particular list and insert it into your www-based archive.

> If this is the way, then what tool exists to make my life
>simpler?

Yes, I believe there are, but I don't have a handy reference now.
Peter R